This article explains briefly what pvDesign's power flow model is, what it includes, and where to check how it's calculated.
For switching and breaking stations, this will be omitted.pvDesign generates a Power Flow Model (PFM) Excel file. This model is used to describe the energy flow that occurs through the different parts of the PV plant, BESS, interconnection facility, and overhead lines (gen-tie).
The model includes the following equivalent systems:
- An explicit representation of the overhead line (only when an OHL is defined in the site).
- An explicit representation of every power transformer of the substation.
For switching and breaking stations, this will be omitted.
- An equivalent representation of the collector systems. This refers to the equivalent of the medium voltage lines that collect the capacity of the different power stations and that are connected to the interconnection facility.
- An equivalent representation of the inverter pad-mounted transformers, which represents the power stations of the PV plant or the power conversion systems (PCSs) from a battery energy storage system (BESS) (only when a BESS area is defined in the site).
- An equivalent representation of the generators that can come from either the PV plant or the BESS.
To learn more about how this power flow model is calculated, you can check Chapter 5 of our Electrical Methodology.
For any other questions or more information regarding this topic, you can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org